Monday, February 7, 2011

Soup's on!

The microwave and fridge at work haven't been available for a while, so I have been getting by on whatever I can--usually hummus and crackers. The winter has been so cold--below zero a few times last month--and I've been craving soup.

Finally Sunday I had an afternoon at home to make some good, old fashioned soup. I winged it. I cooked some dried cannelini beans in water with spices and random pieces of vegetables I'd saved for the occasion--celery leaves, beet stalks, mushroom stems, etc.--anything to give it flavor. When almost done, I drained the water, added spinach, and pureed it. Then and added some mushroom broth, half a lemon, more basil, spinach, and uncooked spelt. I cooked it until the spelt was done and sprinkled a generous amount of freshly grated Parmesan on it.

Oh.my.g.o.o.d.n.e.s.s.! It's a brown, thick, hot mess but man is it awesome!! Definitely a keeper. I'm going to have to restrain myself from eating several more bowls today.

I feel warmer already.

No comments:

Post a Comment