Friday, November 25, 2011

2 Pies for Thanksgiving

Yesterday I was a guest at someone else's home. I offered to bring a pie for dessert--my absolute favorite treat. I also asked if it would be ok if I brought a vegetable dish for myself.

I decided on a vegetable pie. I diced and sauteed some fall vegetables. I made sure to include lots of green onions and differently colored veggies for visual appeal. I included green beans, of course! I added a creamy white wine sauce and baked them inside a pie crust. Here it is, with a pilgrim cutout on top to vent:
It turned out really, really well. I liked it a lot better for Thanksgiving than a heavier shepherd's pie or pot pie (which I've made in previous years). The great thing is, it felt hearty enough to be a main dish, and special enough for a holiday.

Here's my apple pie (with an apple cutout on top to vent):

If I do say so myself, it was the best apple pie ever in human history. Perfect, locally grown New York apples with Mexican cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment