Monday, June 27, 2011

This week I've been using some coconut milk in my breakfast smoothies for extra fat and calories, in an effort to get me feeling better faster.

I normally use about 1 cup of soy milk. This week I've been substituting a little coconut milk for part of the soy milk. One thing I've noticed is I'm overcompensating for the sweetness in the coconut milk. I keep thinking it's going to be too sweet, so I add less protein powder, because that adds a lot of sweetness.

I compared labels. The soy milk has 1 gram of sugar per cup. The coconut milk has 3 grams per cup. Neither has added sugars. I don't know why, but the coconut milk always tastes less sweet in my smoothies than the soy milk does. I shall investigate this further. There must be some sciencey explanation.

For your reference, I also use 1 cup of frozen fruit, 5 baby carrots, vanilla protein powder, and half a tablespoon of wheat germ.

Yes, wheat germ--I am turning into a full-on hippie! I've been adding that for extra vitamins and fiber, but I've found half a tablespoon is my limit. Add any more and I don't like it.

I think I've mentioned the carrots before. They add vitamins, sweetness and fiber, and I honestly do not notice a difference in taste. And believe me, I am the Princess and the Pea when it comes to taste!

Here's today's breakfast, made with strawberries and coconut milk. Happy Meatless Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment