Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beanstalk update!

I ended up with 3 viable beanstalks.  One ended up dying, though I'm not surprised because we had terribly oppressive weather--too much rain and heat. 

They've been pretty much care free in this climate because we get plenty of rain.  I just check them every few days to make sure they're not leaning on the dirt (so they don't rot) and the vine is going where I want it to (not strangling my strawberry plants).







So now I've got 2 left, and they're already producing beans.  I wasn't sure if they were the chic peas or the pintos.  Last night I picked the ones that are ready, and it turns out they're pintos.  They're a little more mottled than their parents--I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

 Some beans dry on the vine--that's when you know to harvest them.  Others you eat fresh, like green beans.  Apparently pintos dry on the vine.



I've only got 5 beans so far.  Once (if!) I get enough, I'll try making a dish with just the home grown ones to see if there is a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment